Rings & Rashes – A Simple Solution to a Common Problem

Occasionally, we are asked about what to do if a rash occurs under a wedding band or diamond ring. Often times, the individual might suspect they are allergic to the metal, which can happen, but usually it can be solved with a simple solution, literally.

Rashes can be caused by an allergy, such as nickel (an alloy in white gold), or possibly by something that has changed with your body. Are you using a different soap or hand lotion? Body chemical changes can have an effect too, such as childbirth, a change in diet, or a change in drugs you are taking.

Most likely over time and wear, you have accumulated some type of irritant under your ring. Perhaps soap was not completely rinsed from under the ring when washing your hands. Or, something harsh has soaked into soil accumulated under the ring. The irritant or soap sits against your skin and burns the skin. Once the skin is damaged, any little thing may cause it to be worse. By following the steps below, common ring rashes can be cleared and avoided in the future.

STEP ONE - Remove your ring, apply steroid cream on the rash (like Cortizone 10), and let your finger heal completely before wearing the ring again.

STEP TWO - (Only for jewelry consisting of gold, platinum, diamonds, sapphires, or rubies. This would be damaging to other stones, metals, or costume jewelry)

Take a glass bowl of water mixed with a little dish soap (like you are washing your dishes) and add a teaspoon of ammonia. Be cautious, as the ammonia fumes are strong. Microwave the solution until too hot to touch. Remove from the microwave, submerge the ring, and let it soak as the water cools off for 30 to 60 minutes. **Never place your ring in a pan on the stove to heat it. We’ve had people who did this forget about it and extreme damage has occurred to the pan and the jewelry.

STEP THREE - Take a child sized SOFT bristle toothbrush and scrub the ring, top, bottom, and sides. If necessary, re-soak the ring and brush again until the ring is spotless and any possible irritant is removed. Do a final brushing under running, clear, warm water and then dry thoroughly.

When you start wearing the ring again, take extra care when washing your hands to rinse the underside of the ring where it touches your finger.

Welcome to Jessop Jeweler
Stay Informed About Specials & Events
Sign up for our email newsletter